Thursday, February 7, 2013

Cheese--Public Enemy #1

If one is going to go on a vegetarian or vegan diet, then the majority of one's diet should be vegetables, right??? I said that I would do vegetarian the first week and then vegan from that point on. When I actually eat vegetables I do pretty well and I lose weight--that seems like a true vegetarian diet. But when I eat a cheesetarian diet it doesn't go so well but it is SOOO hard to figure out what to eat if I don't eat some cheese. Plus I LOVE cheese. Really, I love gouda, brie, asiago, swiss, feta, blue and the list goes on. But if I am truly making a committment to this then I have to give up CHEESE. I have not missed meat but I think I will really miss cheese.

If I just convince myself that I will lose more weight without the cheese and if I tell myself that actually I am blocking my iron asorption with all the dairy, then I can surely give up the cheese. Right?? Not so easy, but at this point I have less than 12 hours before I will need to figure out what to eat without dairy because tomorrow is vegan day numero uno for me.

Tyler has been doing very well going pretty much vegan but unfortunately is not feeling the results I am. He hasn't lost any weight and doesn't feel any better but we are hopeful that will change soon.

As far as the kids, I just don't know what to say. A little back story for those of you who don't know--Christa became a vegetarian at 6 years old. After a year of eating vegetarian, we had to make her start eating meat again because her iron was low. Since that time it has been a constant battle with her to eat meat but now that the family is trying to eat less animal products she is arguing against it. The other night at the Thai restaurant she refused to share our usual dish because I didn't want chicken in it. Makes me wonder if her vegetarianism was more a rebellious statement than an ethical one. Who knows??? Ryan still is not even making any attempts at even vegetarianism but that is his choice.

During the month of February our other comittment was to spend less by going on a spending freeze for all non essentials. That has proved to be pretty much HARD. I have avoided going out to eat the last couple nights even though I really wanted to but I certainly would not say that we are anywhere near a spending freeze. When Christa had her big interview at RCA, I wanted to get her a new outfit but I resisted and instead looked into her closest to see what she already had which was fine. So we have made some progress but it is not where we wanted to be. The only big way we are saving some bucks is that we have no trips planned in February--pretty much the only month in the recent past and future that we have not traveled.

So what shall pose the greatest challenge--a true vegan diet or a true spending freeze?? We will see. Stay tuned.




No comments:

Post a Comment